Lewes District Citizens Advice 12 tips for Christmas
1) Plan early: Plan how much you are going to spend on each person and stick to it.
2) Don’t forget everyday bills: It may be Christmas, but keep on top of priority bills, such as rent and council tax.
3) Think twice about overdrafts: Don’t run up an overdraft without first chatting to your bank
4) Keep it simple: Pay for your goods with cash or a debit card if you can.
5) Shop around: Look for the best price and buy only what you want, not what others say you need.
6) Avoid unauthorised lenders: Borrowing from loan sharks is never a good idea
7) … and unauthorised traders: Whatever the deal, don’t buy from unauthorised traders
8) Read the small print: Check credit agreements for hidden extras and work out the total amount to repay.
9) Do your own credit checks: If you plan to use a credit card, shop around
10) Be organised: If you’ve borrowed, repayment will be due before you know it. Make sure you make at least the minimum repayment or you’ll be hit with charges.
11) Start planning for next Christmas: It may sound crackers, but just after Christmas is the best time to start saving.
12) Get help if you’re worried: We can give you solid, free and impartial debt advice online, over the phone and face-to-face.
Call 03444 111 444